Monkeys is an all inclusive barefoot luxury resort option in the Telo Islands. Set in the southern reaches of the archipelago construction was completed in early 2018 by the legendary Mark Byrne and as far as the southern Telos are concerned, Monkeys is incomparable in both comfort and quality.
Four private, air-conditioned bungalows with king sized beds, and dining pavilion, are set in a bay that can only be described as classic Indonesian.
The resort’s home break and namesake is located at the mouth of the bay in front of the resort. With another 14 options within a 25 minutes by boat radius; Monkeys is a trip for surfers looking for a remote corner of Indonesia and prefer less people around. It is comfortable, understated, and harmonizes beautifullywith its stunning surroundings.
Check out their website at https://monkeysresort.com.au
“The Telo Islands deliver a broad spectrum of waves for all surfers of all ability levels. Combined with a unique culture, a small resort vibe, great food, an experienced team, and unparalleled customer service Monkeys has everything you need!”
Why choose Monkeys Resort?
Situated off the west coast of Sumatra, and almost directly on the equator, Monkeys is ensconced in an archipelago known as “Kepulan Batu”, “Pulau Pulau Batu” or, more simply, the Telo islands.
With the Mentawai islands to the south, and Nias to the north, the islands in this group are unlike any in Sumatra, and are often compared to the dramatic cliff islands of Thailand, or the smaller islands in the Seychelles.
Due to this remote location – and the fact it can only be accessed conveniently by private boat – The Telos remain largely unspoiled by the rampant development in most parts of Indonesia.
More importantly, the Telo Islands deliver a broad spectrum of waves for all surfers of all ability levels. Combined with a unique culture, a small resort vibe, great food, an experienced team, and unparalleled customer service Monkeys has everything you need!
How do you get to Monkeys Resort?
Flights typically are routed through either Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia or Singapore.
From any of these locations, you are then flown to the north Sumatran city of Padang, Indonesia, where you will be met by our representative at the airport.
Depending on your arrival time, you’ll be taken to a local hotel for an overnight stay.
The next morning the speedboat to Monkeys takes about 4 hours. They should have you in the surf around 12:00 pm. The first order of business however is a briefing on surf safety and basic procedures.
On the final day of your package you’ll check out of The Resort at 12:00 pm. The speed-boat transfer to Padang will have you ready to depart Padang after 7:30pm to be safe.
Monkeys Resort Video
What is included and not included at Monkeys Resort?
- Meet and greet in Padang (includes porters).
- Return transfers out to Monkeys.
- All surf transfers are included in your package and will be carried out in the comfort of super-fast speedboats.
- Alcoholic beverages are available at the fully serviced bar.
- Access and uninterrupted views to the only resort- front break in the region.
- Three meals per day prepared by island chefs; should you have special dietary requirements please let us know in advance and we are more than happy to cater specifically for them.
- Use of all equipment and facilities at Monkeys, including fishing and snorkeling equipment, ping-pong, DVD with a huge selection of movies, CD player, SatTV, magazines, books, laundry service and much more.
- Unlimited drinking water.
- Complimentary hospitality offerings include fresh fruit such as bananas, watermelon, mandarins, apples or papaya, as well as tea, coffee, fruit juice and water. Attentive staff will attend to your needs at a moment’s notice.
- They offer a complimentary surfboard repair service but ask you do tip the staff member who has carried out the repair.
The resort does not include:
- Photo Service (available by request)
- Indonesian VISA (if necessary)
- Airline tickets
- Hotel in Padang
- Travel Insurance (compulsory for all guests, including medivac coverage and coverage for lost charter days)
- Tips for the crew. Tips typically start around US$50 and up.
The Southern Telos is a smorgasbord of quality surf options, and Monkeys South Telo is ideally positioned to access ‘em!
As with the rest of this incredible archipelago, the surf in this region is consistent – more often in the three-to-five foot range and with enough options to accommodate all tides and prevailing wind directions.
With our surfer numbers limited due to our small size we’re all about picking the eyes out of the best sessions with the least other surfers in the lineup.
Our speedy boat zips us to the best options, but more often than not our “House Break” of Monkeys gives us magic and solitude at dawn and dusk.
Make no mistake, Monkeys is one of the funnest jewels in the Telo Islands crown.
The waves at Monkeys Resort are among some of the funnest in Indonesia! . Learn more about the spots you’ll be surfing by clicking here.
Monkeys South Telo is a classic surf resort creation. Comfortable, understated and harmonising with the stunning surrounds.
Four private bungalows and central dining / socialising pavillion. A bank of high performance solar panels help power the aircon and make Monkeys’ already light footprint even more sustainable. It’s all designed to maximise the outlook to this spectacular and remote stretch of coast.
Monkeys South Telo features four generously-sized private villas (each with a king-sized bed and two day beds) and ocean views.
All villas feature air-conditioning and en-suite facilities.
Rooms are serviced daily, with complimentary laundry service.
- AC and en-suite bathrooms In all rooms
- King sized beds with two day beds
- Daily housekeeping
- Satellite television in main lodge
- Satellite phone is available for guest use
- Satellite WiFi is available across the property
- Complimentary laundry service
- Full-service bar
The cuisine at Monkeys South Telo is based on authentic Indonesian culinary traditions with just the right amount of western indulgence thrown in.
- Meals are all-inclusive – with the exception of select alcoholic beverages.
- They are able to provide a menu based on any dietary requirements requested prior to arrival.
- Meals vary between buffet and table service, shared in the company of other guests.
- And be sure to save room for dessert!
For more information about the resort and accommodation at Monkeys Resort click here.
There are a myriad of other activities to enjoy during your stay at Monkeys Resort.
At Monkeys, they provide a wide range of activities and services beyond the epic surf, all suitable for your family. Complementary lodge features include sea kayaks, snorkeling gear, fishing equipment, excursions, games, river tours, laundry, surfboard repair, extensive book library and much more.
Optional services include professional photo services, massage services, SAT phone, broadband Wi-Fi, guided translation services and much more.
Fishing isn’t the main reason you’ve come to Monkeys, but while you’re here, it’s a bit of fun and nothing’s better than fresh sashimi after a day on the water.
No need to bring your own fishing gear, and we’ll even take care of the messy stuff if you’re not a fan of blood & guts.
You’ve surfed, you’ve eaten, you’ve chilled, caught up with your sleep. You’ve had days of waves. Time for something a bit different. Time for a snorkel!
Whether you’re a dedicated enthusiast, an opportunistic part-timer, or a curious first-timer, you’ll find our friendly, uncrowded waves are ideal for stand-up paddle-boarding.
With the incredible surf at our disposal, it’s easy to overlook some of the other features of the area that make this place so special.
One of the more memorable activites here has got to be the Monkeys River Cruise, where they take a trusty boat upriver and channel.
Up to four different species of Monkey can be spotted.
It’s a hit of nature and adventure that’s highly recommended.
Stand Up Paddle
On flat days, there are always things to do. Why not paddle out around the islands for a memorable ocean experience.?
Screenshot from Monkeys Resort's website.
Monkeys Resort Gallery
For more photos of Monkeys Resort on South Telo Islands of Indonesia please check out their website
Monkeys Resort contact details:
Don Sanford (USA)
Damian Martin: Soul Surf Travel (Australia)
+61 1300 499 264
Monkeys Resort official website:
Monkeys Resort Instagram link:
Monkeys Resort Facebook Feed:
This message is only visible to admins:
Unable to display Facebook posts
Click here to Troubleshoot.