M.I.A Surfcamp is located in the northern region of the Mentawai Islands archipelago off the west coast of Sumatra. The Camp sits among an idyllic landscape where the jungle of Nyang Nyang Island meets the pristine Indian Ocean full of an abundance of coral reefs and waves that are unmatched anywhere in the world.
The Mentawai Islands are the most wave rich area in the world. During your stay you have access to a number of set-ups directly in front of the Camp as well as access to a speedboat to whisk you away to dozens of other waves in the near vicinity.
M.I.A. Surfcamp is a boutique surf experience with a maximum of 8 guests at any one time and a variety of other key features:
- M.I.A. has five accessible breaks directly in front of the resort.
- ‘Nipussi’ is one of the most consistent waves in this region, and only 30 meters from your bungalow.
- All five of our featured reef breaks are visible from every bungalow.
- Our team organizes all transport and transfers to the camp once you have arrived into Siberut.
- You can surf anytime you like. Our guests do not need a speedboat to access our five primary wave options; although we do have our own boats to take you to the an additional 25+ waves in our zone. These waves include the famous Nokandui, Hideaways, Rifles, E-Bay, and Burgerworld just to name a few.
- Our smaller capacity allows us to offer a unique personal experience to our guests.
M.I.A Surfcamp is in a wave rich area in the Mentawai Islands which has some of the best waves this world has to offer. With 5 breaks right at your doorstep, it’s safe to say we have one of the best locations in the entire region.
Why choose M.I.A Surfcamp?
M.I.A Surfcamp offers local artisanship and was purposely built by Australian owners to optimize stunning views of 5 different waves for our guests . Access to the M.I.A “Peak” is only 40 steps from your bungalow; while our other 4 featured waves are only 5 to 10 minutes away on foot under the jungle canopy. Our M.I.A speedboat is also available daily to explore an incredible array of other breaks suitable for all surfing abilities. These waves include gaping barrels, shallow slabs, fast freight trains, mellow walls, big waves, small wave spots, and everything in between!
M.I.A Surfcamp Mentawais Video
M.I.A Surfcamp is located in the heart of Playgrounds, a well known area of the Mentawai Islands recognized as one of the most wave rich areas in all of Indonesia.
M.I.A is nestled on Nyang Nyang Island covering two hectares across a lush coconut grove offering absolute beach front accommodation.
What is include and not included at M.I.A Surfcamp?
- Airport/hotel/boat/van transport
- Speed boat usage to the other 25+ breaks in the area along with driver and surf guide.
- All of your meals along with snacks, tea/coffee and water.Beach-front accommodation with a view of 5 breaks.
- Speed boat from Siberut- MIA Surfcamp and return.
- Overnight Ferry ticket- Padang to Siberut
The Camp does not include:
- Mentawai Fast Ferry (Siberut – Padang/Padang- Siberut)
- Bintang cans at a reasonable price
- Photography packages
- Mentawai Surfing Levy
- Personal Laundry
- Yoga packages
M.I.A Surfcamp is blessed with five accessible reef breaks directly in front of M.I.A Surfcamp, with Nipussi being one of the most consistent waves in the entire region. All five reef breaks are visible from our beachside bungalows. And because access is so easy, you can paddle out anytime you please for a surf! The five breaks include Nipussi, MIA Peak, The Klit, Piggybanks, and Bankvaults.
|High Season||Shoulder Season||Low Season|
For detailed information about our five main breaks as well as over two dozen other breaks in the area for “surf extremists” and “all surfing levels” please visit our website to learn more about the spots you’ll be surfing by clicking here.
Our beautiful Mentawai surf camp features two traditional bungalows built along the water’s edge by local craftsmen. Each bungalow is spacious in design and features comfortable pillow top beds to help you recharge after a long day of surfing. Each bungalow includes its own expansive balcony for you to chill out, read a book, and watch the waves between surf sessions. We also have a beautiful couples room available on request.
Check out our detailed “Accommodation” and “Meal” options here!
“The accommodation consists of two large bungalows each with their own en-suites which sleeps four people in each (couples room available on request), plus a large chill house for meals, snacks, wifi, bar with ice cold bintangs and a 50″ TV with cable television. The property is set on a 2-acre block so there is plenty of space to relax, play soccer, or simply watch those hypnotic waves roll in to the shore. ”
How to get to M.I.A Surfcamp
We make getting to M.I.A simple by outlining the steps below so you know what to expect:
- Fly into Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Fly from Kuala Lumpur to Padang International Airport (1 Hour)
Note. to make the Gombolo overnight ferry, your flight to Padang needs to arrive before 1400hrs the day before your trip starts. Alternative arrangements can be made if this is not possible.
- Pre-arranged transfer will pick you up from airport and take you to Gombolo Terminal.
- Overnight ferry will take you to Siberut Port arriving in the very early hours (best to stay asleep until sun comes up.)
- Your hosts and boat drivers will be at Siberut Port to meet you (at sunrise) with a speedboat and take you to M.I.A Surfcamp.
For in depth information on how to get to M.I.A Surfcamp please click here.
Screenshot from M.I.A Surfcamp's website.
M.I.A Surfcamp’s Gallery
For more photos of M.I.A Surfcamp on Nyang Nyang Island in the Mentawai Islands of Indonesia please check out their website
M.I.A Surfcamp contact details: